The RELX PLC ordinary share register is administered by Equiniti Limited. Enquiries concerning the administration of ordinary shareholdings in RELX PLC and notification of change of personal details should be referred to Equiniti Limited. Click here
to find out how to contact Equiniti.
While hard copy shareholder communications continue to be available to those shareholders actively requesting them, in accordance with the Companies Act 2006 and its Articles of Association, RELX PLC uses the RELX Group website as the main method of communicating with shareholders. By registering their details online at Shareview
, shareholders can be notified by email when shareholder communications are published on the website. Shareholders can also use the Shareview website to appoint a proxy to vote on their behalf at shareholder meetings.
Shareholders who hold their RELX PLC shares through CREST may appoint proxies for shareholder meetings through the CREST electronic proxy appointment service by using the procedures described in the CREST manual.
Dividends on RELX PLC ordinary shares are declared and paid in sterling. Shareholders can arrange to have their dividends paid directly into a bank or building society account by contacting Equiniti. This method of payment reduces the risk of delay or loss of dividend cheques in the post and ensures the account is credited on the dividend payment date.
Dividend reinvestment plan
Shareholders can choose to reinvest dividends by purchasing further shares through the Dividend Reinvestment Plan (“DRIP”). A DRIP application form can be obtained from the RELX PLC Registrar at www.shareview.co.uk/dividends
, or by contacting Equiniti. Click here
to find out how to contact Equiniti.
The Orr Mackintosh Foundation operates a charity share donation scheme for shareholders with small parcels of shares whose value makes it uneconomic to sell them. Details of the scheme can be obtained from the ShareGift website ( www.sharegift.org
) or by telephoning ShareGift on 020 7337 0501.
Share dealing service
A telephone and internet dealing service is available through RELX PLC’s Registrar, Equiniti Limited. This provides a simple way for UK-resident shareholders to buy or sell RELX PLC shares. For telephone dealing call 0345 603 7037 between 8.30am and 5.30pm (UK time), Monday to Friday, and for internet dealing log on to www.shareview.co.uk/dealing
. You will need your shareholder account number shown on your dividend tax voucher.
Individual savings accounts (ISA)
A single company ISA for RELX PLC shares is available through the company’s Registrar. Details may be obtained by writing to Equiniti at this address, or by calling their ISA helpline on 0371 384 2244 between 8.30am and 5.30pm (UK time), Monday to Friday.
Sub-division of ordinary shares and share consolidation
On 28 July 1986 each RELX PLC ordinary share of £1 nominal value was subdivided into four ordinary shares of 25p each. Subsequently, on 2 May 1997, the 25p ordinary shares were sub-divided into two ordinary shares of 12.5p each. On 7 January 2008 the existing ordinary shares of 12.5p each were consolidated into new ordinary shares of 1451/116p nominal value, on the basis of 58 new ordinary shares for every 67 existing ordinary shares held.
Capital gains tax
The mid-market price of RELX PLC’s £1 ordinary shares on 31 March 1982 was 282p, which should be adjusted for subsequent events, in particular the four-for-one sub-division in 1986 and the two-for-one sub-division in 1997. This gives an equivalent amount of 35.25p for each 12.5p share. The above value of 35.25p should also be adjusted for the January 2008 share consolidation, when 58 new ordinary shares were issued for every 67 existing ordinary shares held, to give an equivalent amount of 40.72p for each new ordinary share of 1451/116p nominal value.
RELX PLC, along with other publicly owned companies, is legally obliged to make its share register available to anyone who requests a copy. Shareholders may receive unsolicited mail from organisations offering their services. To limit the receipt of such unsolicited mail, shareholders should contact the Mailing Preference Service (MPS) on 0845 703 4599, or online at www.mpsonline.org.uk
, or by writing to MPS for a registration form at: Mailing Preference Service, FREEPOST 29 LON20771, London W1E 0ZT. Shareholders may still, however, receive unsolicited mail from organisations that do not subscribe to the MPS service.
Warning about unsolicited investment contacts
Warning to shareholders – unsolicited investment advice
How to avoid share fraud and boiler room scams
- From time to time shareholders may receive unsolicited calls from fraudsters.
- Fraudsters use persuasive and high-pressure tactics to lure investors into scams, sometimes known as boiler room scams.
- They may offer to sell shares that turn out to be worthless or non-existent, or to buy shares at an inflated price in return for an upfront payment.
- While high profits are promised, if you buy or sell shares in this way you will probably lose your money.
- 5,000 people contact the Financial Conduct Authority about share fraud each year, with victims losing an average of £20,000.
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has issued some guidance on how to recognise and avoid investment fraud:
How to report a scam
- Legitimate firms authorised by the FCA are unlikely to contact you unexpectedly with an offer to buy or sell shares.
- If you receive an unsolicited phone call, do not get into a conversation, note the name of the person and firm contacting you and then end the call.
- Check the Financial Services Register available at www.fca.org.uk to see if the person and firm contacting you is authorised by the FCA. If you wish to call the person or firm back, only use the contact details listed on the Register.
- Call the FCA on 0800 111 6768 if the firm does not have any contact details on the Register, or if you are told that they are out of date.
- Search the list of unauthorised firms to avoid at www.fca.org.uk/scams.
- If you do buy, or sell shares from an unauthorised firm, you will not have access to the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
- Consider obtaining independent financial and professional advice before you hand over any money. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
If you are approached by fraudsters, please tell the FCA using the share fraud reporting form at www.fca.org.uk/scams, where you can find out more about investment scams. You can also call the FCA Consumer Helpline on 0800 111 6768.
If you have already paid money to share fraudsters, you should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
The RELX PLC share register is administered by: Equiniti Limited, Aspect House, Spencer Road, Lancing, West Sussex, BN99 8AH. Shareholder Helpline Number: 0371 384 2960 (UK callers) Shareholder Helpline Number: +44 121 415 7047 (non-UK callers)